Thursday, September 19, 2013

A Page Turn

 I recently had the displeasure of finishing the last erring episode of a T.V. show I had been following for quite some time. It was a show that loved plot twists the first season ended with the hero finally destroying the main villain, but in doing so released an even greater one sending him on another quest to save the earth. So when the second season ended I shouldn’t have been surprised when just on the brink of finishing this epic quest they had been on for 6 months to save the world that *poof*… huge plot twist and everything is in jeopardy again and… “to be continued” comes across the otherwise black screen. Of course they never made a third season so I will never know whether the world was destroyed or not, oh well.

At times I feel like the adventure of life is similarly full of plot twists. Thankfully my show won’t be discontinued before the story is finished as He intended. But sometimes I feel a similar frustration in life just as I finish one chapter feeling that I barely survived it my life gets shaken like a classic boggle game and there is an all new quest on which to embark.

This is my life now, a page turn.  Standing on this side of my bachelors looking back at my schooling journey: being swept off white knuckled by the reigns of first year from my home, to trudging through the swamps of language acquisition and at times despair in Argentina, followed by two years of juggling far too many things whilst walking the tightrope of ministry over the pit of burn out, and all the way barely escaping the grasp of debt disillusionment and doubt. Looking at the mountains crossed, I know there must have been many times I was carried solely on the wings of miracles of grace.

Yet I am here, more aware of my inadequacies than ever before, yet all the more confident in His ability. But now as that page of life lands firmly in the past and more plot is revealed on this new page, here I stand on the brink of another journey I don’t yet fully understand… Adulthood.


What does it look like to be a Christian man in the St. Joseph County Michigan? How does one not digress to the life known before in such a familiar atmosphere? Life? Love? Work? Taxes? How does it all work? This is what my life consists of now, learning in the classroom of life. I invite you to join me again. I am dusting off the old blog (that is if blogs can collect dust… I suppose just about anything collects dust by sitting unused for 11 months). I do this, I hope, to be a help or encouragement to someone, but honestly I know this blog will probably never go viral, but it’s more for my sake I think. I like to write, it’s good for my soul. It helps me to refine my world view. To make sure I’m still thinking. I hope to write monthly. It seems more probable this chapter than the last but who knows what life will allow. However it would encourage me greatly if in some way these musings could be of use to someone. So please read, comment (it makes me feel good) and learn to live with me… or if you could teach me that would be great too!

1 comment:

  1. After I read your blog, these verses came to mind. "But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." (2nd Corinthians 12:9-11). I have had to learn, again and again, that His power is made perfect in my weakness. It's been incredibly humbling. After making stupid mistakes, I finally learned to go to the Bible and read what God says He expects of me in the classroom of life in the different roles that I have (father, husband, worker, etc.). -- Gavin

    ReplyDelete